Back to School - Sep 2021
Covid-19 measures at KJS
Enhanced hygiene and ventilation will remain in place, as will our one-way system.
Face coverings are no longer advised for children, parents, staff and visitors either in classrooms or in communal areas. The government has removed the requirement to wear face coverings in law, but expects and recommends that they are worn in enclosed and crowded spaces where you may come into contact with people you do not normally meet. This includes public transport and dedicated transport to school or college. If there is an outbreak in a setting, a director of public health might advise the setting that face coverings should temporarily be worn in communal areas or classrooms (by children, staff and visitors, unless exempt).
Wearing face coverings is no longer a legal requirement on public transport but the government expects and recommends that they are worn in enclosed and crowded spaces where you may come into contact with people you don’t normally meet. On dedicated transport, children aged 11 and over are recommended to continue to wear a face covering when travelling to secondary school. Further information from DfE regarding dedicated transport can be found here
Two onsite tests are required for each child at the start of term, 3-5 days apart, before children can return fully. To facilitate this, like most other schools, we will be staggering the return of students across the first week.
Regular twice weekly home testing, for staff and students, will take place thereafter until end of September.
Updated guidance about when to isolate here
Start of Term at KJS
The new academic year will start for students as follows:
Mon 6 Sep
- Y7 in school (at St Helen’s Gate) all day (with 1st onsite test)
- Y11 in school (at St Helen’s Gate) just for 1st onsite test
- Y8 in school (at Fernside) just for 1st onsite test * Note: this is a day earlier than in previous communication
Tue 7 Sep
- Y7 & 11 in school all day
- Y8 in school all day * Note: this is a day earlier than in previous communication
- Y9 & 10 in school (at St Helen’s Gate) just for 1st onsite test
Wed 8 Sep
- all students in school all day (no testing)
Thu 9 Sep
- all students in school all day (with 2nd onsite test for Y7, 8 & 11)
Fri 10 Sep
- all students in school all day (with 2nd onsite test for Y9 & 10)
How to master your back-to-school routine
BBC Bitesize article here